Page 23 - OACP_MAG_Spring2016_printfile20May16_OACP Spring 2016
P. 23

  Not everyone is eligible for local authority funding, but many people will be able to get some kind of financial support...
Each country in the UK has its own independent regulatory body responsible for keeping a register of care homes and for checking them to ensure that they meet national standards. We use their data in the local care services finder on Elderly Care.
In England
The Care Quality Commission (CQC)
In Northern Ireland
The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)
In Scotland
The Care Inspectorate
In Wales
The Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)
Before you make a visit, sit down with your relative and discuss what’s important to them. What do they consider ‘essential’, and what do they consider ‘desirable’? Make notes about your relative’s preferences so that you can refer to them on your visit.
Local authority funding
Local authorities have a responsibility to:
• Contribute to the cost of care for people who fit their eligibility criteria following a needs assessment and fall beneath the means test threshold.
• Arrange residential care for everyone who is assessed as needing it and is unable to make their own arrangements.
Financial assessment
Not everyone is eligible for local authority funding, but many people will be able to get some kind of financial support. It all depends on the amount of capital your relative has, as well as their income.
Self­funding a care home is quite common, and around two­fifths of places in independent care homes are funded by private individuals.
In these cases, he or she can choose i their own residential care home.
Benefits and
Your relative might also be able to claim some benefits and allowances to help foot the bills. On the Elderly Care website we explain what benefits and allowances are available for older people – and for their carers, too.
We give details about who is eligible for each benefit, how much you might receive and how to apply.
  The financial assessment will look at your relative’s income (the regular money they have coming in) and their capital (savings and assets they own that have monetary value).
If your relative owns their home jointly with their spouse or partner who is still living there, its value won't be included in the financial assessment. Other exceptions apply, which you can read about using the link (right).
   Find out more...
For detailed information about financing a care home
Visit:­ care/financingcarehome.
This article was reproduced courtesy of Which? Elderly Care

   21   22   23   24   25